Sunday, February 26, 2012

February Podcast: Running After Baby, Getting Started, Raising Eaters, Cals vs. Points, Habit Eating | Roni's Weigh

February Podcast: Running After Baby, Getting Started, Raising Eaters, Cals vs. Points, Habit Eating | Roni's Weigh:

'via Blog this'

I just finished watching this podcast of Roni Noone's, and I thought she had some sensible things to say. What really got me, though, was her comments at the end about habit eating. I have had that same "the kids are in bed -- it's time to eat!" sorts of associations -- in all kinds of various situations, and have tried hard to break them. The car trip comment she made though was so spot on for me. She said that when she and her dh travel, he will get a soda and some combos at the gas station, and then if she doesn't get a snack, she will end up feeling deprived. So, even though she may not be hungry, she takes along a bag of popcorn popped at home to munch on. It's funny -- I have the same husband! He'll buy Combos, the kids will beg for snacks, and everyone will be munching away in the car except me. Though I may not be the slightest bit hungry, I end up feeling kind of resentful and angry about the situation. I always try to tell myself not to eat if I'm not hungry, or to take some healthy snacks for the family, but as soon as dh buys some unhealthy snack and my kids clamor for one also, no one ends up eating the healthy snacks but me. Sometimes I end up eating more calories than I would have had I just given in to my desire for some potato chips! So maybe it's okay to give up the whole intuitive eating thing once in a while. Rather than forcing myself into a situation when I'll feel put upon for listening to my stomach, I should just listen to my desires instead. Not every day, or even every week, but at least some of the time.

6 comments:

Mary Ellen Quigley said...

When I am in a situation where other people will be snacking, I try to pack a healthy snack that I love. For example, I am obsessed with the 100 calorie packs of Cocoa Roasted Almonds. I will eat those over candy or chips any day. So, I get my snack, but I don't feel deprived.

George F. said...

Interesting how the best laid plans can seem to backfire on us sometimes. Stick to it though, it sounds like you've got a good handle on when it's okay to let it slide :)

jagdish said...

Stick to it though, it sounds like you've got a good handle on when it's okay to let it slide :)
Anytime Fitness Locations

Diane said...

After time you know when it is ok and not ok to let something like weight loss die off for a day or two and you will not change on the scales. Keep it up x

Rachel said...

Definitely ok to have a day off here and there. Nobody in the world can diet religiously 100% of the time, you'll end up jumping off the bandwagon completely if you tried it!

Dani said...

I've learnt that if you lapse once or twice that's ok, the idea is to not be to hard on yourself! Identify what it was that made you lapse, and acknowledge it. That way next time you feel tempted you will be more aware of the dangers that lie ahead.