Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Day Five On the Beach

I started the South Beach Diet on Saturday and so far, it's been a piece of cake (so to speak). I was quite hungry the first day, which concerned me, but haven't really been abnormally hungry since then, unless I skip a snack. I get hungry an hour or so before mealtime, but that's pretty normal for anyone. I've made several of the recipes from the book and they've all been quite delicious, filling, and satisfying. I've had a spinach fritatta, Cheesy Vegetable Fritatta, broccoli soup, Gingered Pork Loin, Spaghetti Squash Casserole, Taco Bake, and a South Beach-friendly "pancake" (made with egg whites, light ricotta cheese, and an egg) which is probably the only thing I've eaten that I didn't care for. I've also discovered that I'm not a fan of eggplant. I've rediscovered my love for hummus, and found that I really like spaghetti squash. I'd never eaten ricotta cheese in my life before this week unless it was in an Italian dish or cheesecake, but with 1/2 tsp of sugar and a dash of vanilla extract in it, it's quite yummy. I'm not "supposed" to eat sugar, but since I don't eat artificial sweetener....well, I figured 1/2 tsp isn't really going to affect things.

My family has eaten the dinners described above without complaint, and in the case of Taco Bake, even with praise. Of course, the girls have no idea I'm "on a diet", but they haven't commented on my skipping dessert every day. Perhaps I am not, after all, the center of the universe. I thought it would be more difficult to go without bread and fruit, but I haven't had any mad desire to start chowing down on the cookies in the cupboard. Even at work today, when I saw that someone had brought in a HOMEMADE loaf of bread, all I felt was a mild regret. I made two pies for our annual Labor Day cookout and briefly considered freezing a small piece of each to eat later, but decided that it certainly won't be the last time I'll ever see pie.

It has been brought home to me -- yet again -- how often I mindlessly lick a spoon or take a bite of something. When I made the pies, it was hard not to lick the bowl. When I make lunch for the girls, it's hard not to finish their banana or apple or take a potato chip. It's such a habit for me to do so. Maybe this two weeks will help break me of it. Maybe not.

I saw my therapist today and asked her if she thought it was a bad idea for me to try and lose some weight, provided I was committed to doing so without overexercising or undereating. She was cautiously approving of it. She gave me the "homework" assignment of making a list of what my warning signs would be -- the warning signs that I was slipping back into disordered eating or thoughts. I know some of them would be:
  • avoiding or dreading social situations because of tempting food -- or even taking my own food
  • exercising extra to burn off calories if I overeat
  • eating sugar-free food or "fake" low calorie foods
  • going hungry -- especially going to bed hungry
  • cutting out lots of high calorie recipes that I will never allow myself to make
  • feeling deprived because I "can't" have ______ food
  • being afraid of food

I'll have to ponder it some more to see if there are others. She advised me to make a checklist for myself and look at it every single night to make sure I'm not regressing. I have to email her updates until I see her again too.

We discussed my feelings about T, and I made her a promise that I would start the ball rolling with our dialoguing, which we haven't really gotten around to doing any of since our talk. Today is a bad day to start because I work until 8:15pm and he is going out of town at 4am tomorrow until late Monday, but we have to start sometime! We also discussed (again!) the need for me to take more "time out" for myself. I confessed that I always have the best intentions, but then I notice "just one more thing" that needs doing before I can relax. She suggested that perhaps those things could wait, but to be honest, that just creates more stress for me as things pile up. You can only put off doing the laundry or paying the bills or doing the daily picking up for so long. If you do put it off, it only makes the job bigger. My family helps -- if I ask them too -- but I get so tired of always having to ask. That's probably every mom's mantra, isn't it?

4 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Yep, I feel the same way (about being tired of having to ask). And about not being able to relax until everything is done. Not sure why, but I do know when I force myself to let go, ignore things, and get away anyway, I always feel better afterwards.
Do you have a South Beach diet cookbook that you are getting your recipes from? I have been looking for a good one to remind me of things like spaghetti squash, which I also love.

besomom said...

Glad to hear it's going well so far. Now you make me want to try it again. Those ricotta desserts are yummy, and I made mine with real sugar, too.

I can never relax at home, either, because there are always so many things to do. The only thing I can do with a clear conscious is go online, but that's because almost every time I sit at the computer it's to take care of some household business (pay a bill, email a teacher, research something), and then I surf for fun for a bit when the business is done.

Pam said...

Sounds like you're doing really well.

I loved your wry comment about not being centre of their universe. In fact, I'm sure you are; it's just that your food isn't.

It's hard when the time comes when you're really NOT the centre of their universe. I mean, it's good that they can stand on their own feet. But it's hard.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you are doing well. I think that checklist is a great idea, hooray for therapy. My life would not be the same without mine.

Good Luck with Tim.