Friday, June 09, 2006

L.E.A.R.N.

I started the L.E.A.R.N. class last night (http://www.thelifestylecompany.com/). I was a bit skeptical when I saw the literature the teacher passed out, but she is a registered dietician who just got her master's degree in counseling and she is specializing in eating disorders. She is anti-diet and has dealth with weight issues herself, so I will give it a whirl. We talked about diets and compared the word "diet" to "lifestyle", discussed what we hoped to gain from the class, and got homework. I have to keep an eating log. I'm glad I started using sparkpeople.com on Tuesday or I'd be feeling stressed about that. She also weighed us and said she won't weigh us again until the final night at the end of July.

The class had about 15 people in it, and about half were repeating it. You can repeat it as many times as you want. There was one girl smaller than I am, several overweight people, and over half of the class was obese -- most very large. She asked who eats with no distractions other than conversation and I was the ONLY person who raised my hand!

I'm on day four of no Diet Coke or artificial sweeteners (except my one cup of hot chocolate). I feel great. I can't say for sure it has anything to do with the lack of Diet Coke, however, since my eating has been good and I've exercised hard every day also.

1 comment:

Pam said...

This all sounds very impressive. It's interesting what we all find hard to give up, isn't it? I never drink anything fizzy except water sometimes, so that's not a problem for me. Things made with wheat, now... and chocolate - not that I eat much chocolate, but I love it. Sigh. Keep going, though. I love your resolute air.