Friday, October 07, 2005

last physical therapy visit

I wrote a note to Dr. M asking him to increase my work hours to 20-25 a week and he did -- yea! He shook his head and sighed over the therapy issue and dictated a letter to the HMO. It probably won't do any good, but it is very nice of him to try.

I practiced walking today and Jason told me to try and develop a smoother gait, not worrying about how fast I'm going. I need to start standing with equal weight on both legs, instead of putting most of my weight on my good leg. I also need to spend some time each day shifting my weight from leg to leg to build up to putting all of my weight on my bad leg. He said I won't be able to walk without crutches until I can balance on my bad leg with all of my weight on it. I stood on the scale there and was able to put 135 pounds on my leg, which is only 10 pounds shy of all my weight. That was good, since on Monday I only put 75 pounds on it. My knee hurts like heck tonight. I always worry that I'm pushing it too far and I'll mess up the healing process.

I rode the bike for 11 minutes and then 12 minutes. I almost broke a sweat. He said I can add a few minutes each day unless my knee starts hurting too much or getting too swollen. Sears has an exercise bike on sale til Tuesday and I think I want to go and try it out. I need to have one at home.

Betty came to clean today -- I love coming home to a clean house! I feel as though I'm ripping her off only paying her $45. I'm definitely going to keep her even after I'm better.

No comments: